– KLM will be restoring their international routes in September.
– Iberia are to restart international flights to Central and South America from August.
– LATAM airlines will no longer be operating domestic flights in Argentina, leaving Aerolineas Argentinas as the only operator of domestic flights.
– British Airways will resume their flights to Costa Rica from London Gatwick on 31st October.
– Borders are still closed but are expected to open in October. Argentina has had one of the longest lockdowns but is now reopening with restaurants, food courts, and other businesses opening up. Buenos Aires has the vast majority of cases with the virus either not present or barely present in most other areas of the country. Iguazu national park is now open for domestic tourism and other national parks due to follow.
– Since 29th July borders have re-opened and international air travel into Brazil has resumed. There is no quarantine on arrival for international tourists. The only requirement for entry is proof of health insurance that covers covid treatment. The main cities of Rio, São Paulo, Recife, Fortalez and Manaus are in advance stages of reopening. Most hotels in Rio plan to open fully by November and many are already open. Regional flights have started operating at greater frequency.
– Chile has a continued downward trend in infection rates and is in advanced stages of reopening. Chile currently holds the record for the highest amount of covid tests and the lowest cases per 100,000 inhabitants. Rates of infection are falling the most rapidly in Chile. Limited domestic and international flights are now operating. There is still no date for the full opening of the borders.
– Costa Rica’s borders are now open to UK and EU tourists and there will be no mandatory quarantine on arrival, however you will need to present a certificate showing a negative result for a covid test taken within 72 hours of your flight departure time. Tourists must also complete a health questionnaire and have adequate insurance during their stay that includes cover for possible covid19 related expenses. Costa Rica has so far been highly effective in managing the pandemic and is the least affected destination in Latin America. Beaches and hotels are now open. International flights have resumed from Europe and the United States. British Airways resume their flights from London in October.
– Ecuador borders are now open and international flights are now arriving. All arrivals to Ecuador must present a negative PCR covid test taken within the last 10 days. A further test is required to enter Galapagos and can be obtained in Ecuador. We can assist with this and the test will be taken at your hotel, then the result emailed to you. Over 90% of the confirmed cases in Ecuador are confined to the two major cities. There are very few cases in most other areas of the country and in some regions there are zero cases.
– Galapagos currently with under 10 active cases with Isabela Island covid free. Only 3% of the Galapagos is inhabited, the remaining 97% is protected national park. Galapagos has re-opened to international tourists with new safety protocols for flights and cruises in place. There will be no quarantine for arrivals to Galapagos, but every arrival will have to present a negative covid test certificate taken within 96 hours before arrival. This test will be taken on Ecuador mainland.
– Infection rate shows a promising downward trend and society is opening up more and more. Domestic flights started operating a limited service from 15th July. There will be new protocols at the airports. Only people flying will be allowed in the terminal and masks will be mandatory. Train services to Machu Picchu have resumed with new safety protocols in place. New protocols are now in place for the Inca Trail hike to Machu Picchu. There will be a new maximum capacity of 75 people per hour. This equates to 700 people a day compared to 5000 a day previously! Group sizes will be no more than 8 people and they will be staggered throughout the day. The most affected regions are northern Peru and the outer districts of Lima. The Andes region (where you will find Cusco, Sacred Valley, Machu Picchu, Lake Titicaca) has only seen a very small number of cases.